Have you ever heared something about video resume? Seems like most of us would rather say NO than Yes. And it’s not too difficult to forecast. You would say “why”? Because nowadays it’s only some candidates would like to use video resume in 2016, compared to tons of other candidates, who would like to prefer more traditional resume formats. But lets try to understand how you could win the competition and stand out from the mass of the grey people to sell yourself the best way.
BE CREATIVE OR NOT
The most interesting fact is: Video resume 2016 is commonly used in two different ways. The first on is the most common – it’s like an additional video to show yourself in addition to your resume. Who use that? Most likely it’s sales managers or candidates who are closely working with clients or involved in negotiating process.
Who else? Candidates who would like to impress hiring manager to bring their attention to their candidacy. For example if you would like to work in a huge company and you see the competition is really high – creative video resume is the best way to increase your chances. Don’t believe us? Just have a look a video below. This guy has a huge desire to work in Google.
Resume Trend 2016: Video Resume?
According to the last statistic – more and more candidates using their video resume in 2016. That’s why we decided to prepare some interesting tips on how to create a winning video resume 2016 easier and for free. But if you would like to use some services, be ready to spend on av. $200-$350 based on the location of the studio and script.
Tips on how to do a professional video resume easy:
- Prepare for a professional resume, dress in formal attire. It should be like an interview.
- We’re not making a movie, your video resume should not be long. Up to three minutes max, no longer. Hiring manager is not going to watch Star Wars today.
- Look at camera, not in the window
- Close the door if you’re doing that in your room. Ask your family to be quite. It would be not cool to hear your dad screaming, while he watching football.
- Speak in normal speed. Too slow – bad. Too fast – bad too.
- Find a good background to record a video. It shouldn’t be overloaded with some trash.
- Prepare a script before you would start presenting yourself. It’s not a good idea to improvise.
- Remember to start with your Name and Last name. Hiring manager must know who you are.
- Tell your hiring manager why are you the best for this position and what value you could bring to the company.
- Say “Thank you!” before the end.
Where to upload and store your video resume 2016
The easiest way to share your video resume with recruiters is to upload it to well-known job portals like Jobtes or CareerBuilder or alike. This is the easiest way, but you need to create an account. Some candidates prefer to use youtube to solve this issue. Also you can share a dropbox or google drive link. There is no reason where, but make sure HR’s can access your video.
How to promote your video resume in 2016
It’s not a hard thing to create your resume, even it’s a video resume. The most hard thing starts when we’re talking about how to promote your resume online. And here is a small advice: Before you would start distributing your video resume, ask somebody to review it. Maybe they would help you to avoid epic fails or smth else.
Once your resume is ready to be uploaded on the web, here are some basic methods on how to increase your online presence:
- Remember to add a link to your video resume in your paper version.
- Send your video version of resume to recruiter.
- Add a link in your LinkedIN profile.
Anyway, video resume is better than paper version and according to the latest resume trends in 2016 – it would help you to land the job faster and easier.